Friday, October 5, 2007
University of Dublin Ollscoil Átha Cliath
The University of Dublin, corporately designated the Chancellor, Doctors and Masters of the University of Dublin, located in Dublin, Ireland, was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I, making it Ireland's oldest operating university. This is one of the seven ancient universities in the English speaking world and the only one outside the present United Kingdom.
Unlike the universities of Oxford and of Cambridge, after which the University of Dublin was modeled and both of which comprise several constituent colleges, there is just one Dublin college: Trinity College. Thus the designations "Trinity College Dublin" and "University of Dublin" are usually synonymous for practical purposes.
The University of Dublin is consistently ranked top in Ireland in certain global surveys - for example, the Times Higher Education Supplement placed the university 78th in the world (no other university from the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland appeared within the top 200).
The University of Dublin is a member of Irish Universities Association and the Coimbra Group, a network of leading European universities.
University of Dublin is one of the seven ancient universities in the English speaking world and the top-ranked university in Ireland (in some international surveys). It is viewed as one of the world's leading universities and prides itself on its numerous historic achievements, including the development of the ISBN system, introducing clinical teaching into medical education and being the first university in Europe to award degrees in modern languages.
78th overall globally
Times Higher Education Supplement Global Ranking
Financial Times MBA Ranking
Shanghai Jiao Tong University Ranking
Whitefield Consulting Worldwide - European MBA Rankings 2007 Rankings
The idea of an Irish university had been discussed over time, with a university authorised at Dublin by the Pope in 1311, for example (a Chancellor and staff were appointed, the students granted royal protection) and operating until the Reformation. In 1592, a small group of Dublin citizens obtained a charter from Queen Elizabeth incorporating Trinity College Dublin, only constituent college of the University of Dublin. The Corporation of Dublin granted the new university the lands of All Hallows monastery, a mile to the south east of the city walls.Two years later a few Fellows and students began to work in the new College, which then consisted of one small square. During the next fifty years the community increased. Endowments, including considerable landed estates, were secured, new fellowships were founded, the books which formed the beginning of the great library were acquired, a curriculum was devised and statutes were framed.
The eighteenth century was for the most part a peaceful era in Ireland, and the university shared its calm, though at the beginning of the period a few Jacobites and at its end a very small group of political radicals seriously perturbed the College authorities. During this century it was the university of the Protestant ascendancy. Parliament, meeting on the other side of College Green, viewed it benevolently and made generous grants for building. The first building of the new age was the Library, begun in 1712; then followed the Printing House and the Dining Hall; and during the second half of the century Parliament Square slowly emerged. The great building drive was completed in the early nineteenth century by Botany Bay, the square which derives its name in part from the herb garden it once contained.
The nineteenth century was marked by important developments in the professional schools. The Law School was reorganised after the middle of the century. Medical teaching had been given in the College since 1711, but it was only after the establishment of the school on a sound basis by legislation in 1800 and under the inspiration of Macartney, the brilliant and quarrelsome anatomist, that it was in a position to play its full part, with such teachers as Graves and Stokes, in the great age of Dublin medicine. The Engineering School was established in 1842 and was one of the first of its kind in the British Isles. The School of Commerce was established in 1925, and the School of Social Studies in 1934. In 1962 the School of Commerce and the School of Social Studies amalgamated to form the School of Business and Social Studies. The School of Pharmacy was established in 1977. In 1969 the several schools and departments were grouped into Faculties as follows: Arts (Humanities and Letters); Business, Economic and Social Studies; Engineering and Systems Sciences; Health Sciences (since October 1977 all undergraduate teaching in dental science in the Dublin area has been located in Trinity College); Science. In 1977 the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was transferred to University College Dublin.
Graduates of liberal degrees, i.e. non-professional such as Humanities or Science, receive an honours Bachelor of Arts degree after four years, but may receive an ordinary B.A. after three years' study. Bachelors of at least three years' standing may proceed to the degree of Master of Arts.
From 1975 onwards, University of Dublin degrees were also awarded to graduates at the colleges of the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT); this practice continued until 1998 when DIT gained the ability to award degrees in its own right.
Posted by gigihong07 at 8:07 AM